Sunday, May 10, 2015

Day One: NYC Trip Sat May 9th.

Since the packing restrictions of the trip made it impossible for me to bring a journal I decided to use these blog posts to be the daily journal entries I take here in the Big Apple and a legit blog entry about my experience in one of the biggest cities in the world.

My day started out extremely early, 5 am, with a trip to the IF airport. I was groggy and not personable with the other car guests and took to looking out the window. My actions for due to fifty percent lack of sleep and fifty percent anticipation for what is to come, when there is a big event about to happen I retreat into my shell.

The first flight went well. I pondered the words of Stephen King’s On Writing until the fatigue of the early morning took me to sleep. A quick race through the Denver airport saw me to the gate of my 4 hour flight to NYC. For this flight I again chose the words of Stephen King. Unfortunately, there was some hideous turbulence that did a number on my stomach. I sat there, beads of sweat forming on my brow. I thought, “I’m going to hurl. I’m going to hurl. What am I going to hurl I haven’t eaten anything.”

The flight smoothed and I was able to return to Mr. King for a short while. His words about my writing toolbox were engaging and enlightening. The only thing besides the obligatory tasks for college credit that I write prose for is this blog. Enjoy. I learned many things before shutting the book and returning to the grand masterpiece, East of West. A thorough read through of the entire published works made me think about plot and how slowly dosing out the helpings can be so satisfying while coming back to the table for around feast.

Finally, the sound of the land gear engaging called my attention to the open window for me to see the lovely industrial areas of North Queens. After waiting for 2 hours for transportation, we spent an hour in traffic getting to our hotel. What a magnificent hotel it is. I have never seen anything like it. In small circular groups, like the magazine of a revolver, the elevators wait to be called. One enters the floor into a keypad and the keypad responds with which elevator needs to be used to arrive at the desired floor. Brilliance.

After dumping luggage in the hotel room the next task was to find vitals to fill our stomachs. To the street! Now, I love food. I love any kind from any culture (I once are blood sausage in complete darkness during my time in the Dominican Republic, and it wasn’t half bad. Could have used ketchup. And it could have been hot. And maybe some salt. And it would have tasted better if it were my dad’s meatloaf. But I ate the dang thing and it increased my iron level so thus I am grateful. I have heard rants and ravings about the quality of the New York “Street Meat” and I must say, after tonight’s encounter with it, I must be in the wrong part of New York. I don’t agree with the idea of paying $4 for a hot dog. I could each seven and my dad’s taste 100 times better than this guy’s. Thus, the quest for good “Street Meat” continues.

The main lesson for the day was how to use the subway. Our guide, Brother Holt, took us on a full tour. We bought metrocards, got maps and rode around in a few to understand how they work. It was amazing!

Now, I love traveling. I don’t do it often because it is expensive, that is my main complaint. However, enjoying the cultures and customs of a foreign land is one of my favourite things. I do not understand why people travel to foreign places and expect these locations to be perfect. Yeah New York is dirty, because 8.4 MILLION people live there. Yeah the subway is hot and kinda stinky cause it is underground! People, enjoy what is around you. Maybe it is the fact I spent 8 months using a bucket to pour freezing water over my head to wash my body in Puerto Plata that I can walk through a subway and think it looks pretty good. I did was my hands quite thoroughly upon arriving home. I won’t let these people’s high attitude and regard for cleanliness ruin my trip.

Here are the amazing things I saw tonight:
Empire State Building
Rockafeller Center
Grand Central Station
Macy’s
Time Square
Madison Square Garden
Jake Gyllenhaal (not so amazing, but a celebrity nonetheless)


The adventure is just getting started and by golly and I excited to keep digging into this city. The fast pace and noise of it all reminds me of my glory days in the DR. Maybe I’ve been a big city person all my life and never realized that in the Podunk areas of Saskatchewan. NYC is a busier more congested Toronto or Ottawa, both of which I prefer thus far, but I have a sweet spot for my home and native land.

No comments:

Post a Comment