Sunday, May 10, 2015

Day Two: Adventures in Little Italy

One of the biggest advantages to walking around the huge city and packed streets. It is really stimulating for the brain. New comic and story ideas flowing in through the nonexistent ether all around. Maybe it is the mix of culture, maybe it is the smell; it does smell like the Dominican Republic; the smell that influenced so many of my past comic ideas. Who knows. Either way day two was more exciting than day one. And I have pictures to prove it.

We woke early and I shaved with one of the crappiest razors I have ever used in my life. Felt good. I got into my new suit, laced up my fancy shoes and headed out to get me some breakfast. I felt like a real New Yorker will nothing to lose and everything to gain. The mere fact that I was in a suit in New York made me feel invincible. And for a while, I was.

The first stop today was the Today Show, kinda, it was the ABC studio near Columbus St. It was amazing. We were there for their whole broadcast. Fun fact, it now takes about 5 people to make an hour long news broadcast. 3 talent, 1 floor manager, and 1 director; who is in a different building on a different floor. Isn't that fun! Amy Freeze is a really awesome person. It was inspiring to hear how she climbed, struggled, and succeeded to where she is now. She kept the gospel as the central focus of her and her family's life and it paid off. Love it.

Finally, we ate pizza. Legit, new york, made by italians, pizza. Woo dang. It was great!

We moseyed over to Central Park and strolled in the heat of the day before church. It was so hot. It was like being back in the Dominican Republic but packed into a suit and shoved into direct sunlight. It wasn't very nice but at the same time it was. I conversed with some designers at church, all interns. Literally, literally, almost literally, the whole ward is made up of interns, at least those in priesthood. Our priesthood teacher portrayed Joseph Smith a few times and also another significant prophet. Cool.

The latter hours of the day were spent as follows, calling my mother to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. Walking and subwaying over to Canal St. We walked through Chinatown dodging vendors and made our way into Little Italy. That whole section reminded me of being in the DR also. I was even able to do the finger wag to reject their offers. Love it.

Little Italy is a place I could find sanctuary in. The whole atmosphere gushes with love and appreciation. Everyone is there because they love good food and the people they get to share it with. We went to Sofia's. Portion sizes were too small, though paying almost 200 for one check was massively impressive and a memory that I will recount often. Gelato for dessert and off for some bizarre subway debacles. We got locked out, the subway has a security where you cannot go back onto a platform after charging your card and going through the bars. Thus, we were stuck outside of one, in desperate fear we would miss our train. We didn't we waited about an hour before making alternative plans. The whole idea for tonight was to take the Statin Island ferry to go past the Statue of Liberty. Well there was a schism in the ground and two ladies and myself took a train downtown. This took us across a massive bridge and right into Brooklyn. A kind stranger got us on track and we headed back to time square all safe.

Everything ends well. With this post coming to a close it means that I can return to my room and read comics until I fall asleep. I can barely keep my eyes open. There is so much stimulation in a day I can hardly keep myself together.

The real highpoint of the day, going to church on temple grounds. This may be considered cheating since we were under the temple, but hey, it was an amazing sabbath day. Hot, fun, adventurous, and full of friends and great food. I cannot complain. Now let these pictures increase your jealousy as you heat up water to make your Kraft Dinner.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment