Monday, May 11, 2015

Day Three: Monday Memories, This is the Future.

New York is a different beast Monday morning. The subways are packed with commuters and the standard fare of passengers. I was arranged in my suit with my finance blue shirt and my Dominican paisley tie from the stylish Brumm. I was on top of the world. The weather was calm and under control for a while.

The day kicked off with a meeting to Bloomberg. This place is MASSIVE. It was like walking into a top secret spy division of the government. These places have amazing security. We were given badges and headed up to meet our tour guide, Nick. Now, I know nothing about finance. I get money, I spend money. That is about it. Even with that knowledge, I would work for this place. It is amazing. I cannot tell you anything about what they do, but I want to be a part of it. They have free snacks. They have amazing technology. And they have free snacks.

From there we walked over to Central Park to eat nuts with the birds. It was already a sunny day by that point and the sweat was gushing out of every pit. That area of the city is very different. It is calm, very active, but in a different way. There are a lot of people but no one is in a hurry. Lovely.

The stop of the day for me was Random House. I feel the need to explain my distaste for novels. I cannot read them. I did make it through that small batch of David Eddings novels around Christmas, though I have never been able to continue the series. I prefer the reading experience of the comic book. Therefore, I wasn't expecting a whole lot from my meeting at Random House. Shauna Summers, Scott Shannon, and Benjamin Dreyer, met with us and we talked for about an hour. It was awesome. The publishing world was so cool! There are so many cool avenues and little niches that one can fit into. Scott is the Senior Vice President of Digital. The strategies and techniques they use in their digital markets are amazing to me.

They explained something really interesting to me, something that has calmed my heart about the comic book industry. They explained that printing has kind of a fixed price meaning, whether you are printing an order of 25k or 50k the price difference isn't going to be that much because when you start the machine, the cost is basically the same. It isn't necessarily the size of the printing as the printing itself that is costly. Do you understand? If you print X it will cost Y. And if you print 2X it will cost 1.2Y it is a very small margin of increase for a larger printing if you are going to print at all. I hope that is understandable.

They gave us some books and we had a delicious meal in their cafeteria, the first taste of vegetables in a long while.

Y&R is a separate beast. I don't have enough energy at this moment to fully express how excited I am to try and gain an internship there. There are so many platforms ones can use their creativity to help with and this is definitely one of them. They are an advertising firm for brands like Campbell and Wendy's. Yeah I want to work there.

Some down time meant a nap on the floor and some comic idea note jotting. We took forever to meet with an employee of Harper Collins and then finally back to the hotel.

I rested and ate some licorice. The goal for the night was the Brooklyn bridge. We tracked down Nathan's hot dogs, I mistakenly order a philly cheesesteak (I thought it would be a phiily cheesesteak over a hot dog, it wasn't). Then we trekked to Brooklyn and walked the massive bridge. Following that lengthy expedition we went for cheesecake and then I did homework.

My eyes fit the impulse to close, for some reason this lobby is growing in brightness. Maybe I am dying. I'm not sure. Either way, I am done here. Until tomorrow loyal readers. Thank you.





No comments:

Post a Comment